The Maui Forest Bird Recovery Project is driven by science and dedicated to the conservation of Hawaii’s forest ecosystem
restore their habitat through research, development and application of conservation techniques
The MFBRP focuses on Avian Conservation, Landscape Analysis and Habitat Management
- We employ conventional mist-netting, banding and survey techniques to monitor wild forest bird populations.
- We study breeding success in the wild, monitor bird food resources and prevalence of avian diseases.
- We develop and apply novel recovery initiatives for species of concern.
- We aim to effectively manage and reduce the impact of non-native invasive species.
- We conduct research to investigate the effectiveness of our control methods, and formulate this knowledge into long-term management strategies.
Formed in 1997, our mission is to develop and implement techniques that recover Maui’s endangered birds and